Our founders I. Walter Fisher & Erle Phillips started a law firm committed to taking a practical, businesslike approach to solving labor and employment problems. Seventy years later, Fisher & Phillips has grown to become a national law firm with 300 attorneys and 30 offices, and we still share that commitment of our founders. Specifically:
- We provide practical business solutions to our clients' legal problems. Our attorneys are skilled and tenacious advocates, but we recognize that the most aggressive (and expensive) approach may not be the best solution to a client’s problem. In every matter we handle we identify the client's primary business objective and then find and implement a solution to meet that objective.
- We learn our clients’ business and industry. We know that context is important. We take the time to learn the business environment in which our clients operate so that the advice we provide fits the client.
- We are responsive. We recognize that we are in the client service business. We know that many labor and employment problems arise without much prior warning and require an immediate response, so we are highly accessible to our clients. We return calls and e-mails quickly, and we are available around the clock as necessary.
- We respect our clients' time. We know our clients are busy and must manage many challenges simultaneously, so we do our best to avoid last minute surprises. We meet deadlines, and we communicate with clients efficiently in plain English.
- We help our clients avoid legal problems. We think the lawsuit that was never filed is a better win for our client than a defense verdict after a long and costly trial. We provide thoughtful advice and counsel to our clients designed to anticipate and prevent employee claims and lawsuits, government investigations, and union organizing activity.
- Because of our deep knowledge and experience, we are economical. Labor and employment law is all we do. Instead of trying to be all things to a client, we offer deep and broad knowledge and experience in the area of the law we know best. We get to the point quickly and our clients do not have to pay for a learning curve.
We are national and local, with attorneys admitted in just about every U.S. jurisdiction. We represent a wide range of public and private employers. Our clients include employers in the agriculture, automotive manufacturing, automobile dealership, banking, broadcasting, casino and gaming, construction, health care, hospitality, insurance, legal and professional services, manufacturing, mining, real estate, retail, technology, transportation, and wholesale and distribution industries, as well as state and local government entities, non-profit organizations, schools, colleges and universities.